When working in the online spheres, there are a lot of things that you are needed to be considered and tasks to be managed. Website optimization remains to be an essential action to take rather just designing a website and leaving it to its originality. There are still many hurdles to complete and win the race.
There are numerous aspects that demand great attention from you. Therefore, the following discussion is going to be about optimizing your websites and realizing its significance as per the prevailing market conditions.
Optimizing your website will allow you to save up a lot of resources and also attain appreciable traffic for your website in the most unprecedented manner.
What is Website Optimization?
Website optimization is basically about using controlled experimentations in order to improve the probable abilities of your website to drive business goals in the best manner possible.
Website owners are known to conduct A/B testing with the motive of experimenting with the variations on a page, determining challenges and ultimately bringing up more conversations. These may include increased organic searches, demo requests, reduced customer service time, more purchases etc.
There are three major aspects to consider while optimizing your websites.
Server-side optimization can be achieved with the accomplishment of several collective efforts. Those steps in the process had been elaborated below:
- Select a Web Host: This something that is not going to create any direct influences on site optimization. However, it is often noticed that web host is going to be responsible for security, accessibility, and stability of your websites. With an appropriate web host, you would experience the ease of working in safe hands.
- Host Important Assets Separately: Assets are actually the static scripts and images that had not been processed on the server. These assets are known to include CSS Java Scripts, graphics, and images. In order to achieve and establish server stability, especially during heavy traffic conditions, it is preferable to host assets separately.
- Expiry Header: You may choose to skip the unnecessary call for assets for page reload requests by users with the help of a customized expiry header. It improves the webpage load time and also saves bandwidth.
If you are making use of WordPress for web development purpose then you must look in to optimize it too. There may be times when you witness your blogs getting slower. This is well, a clear indication of the need for overhauling the WordPress platform.
You may cache your WordPress blogs in order to experience better performance and improving their responsiveness. Other than that you may deactivate unused plug-ins and remove all PHP tags that are no longer useful. These measures would surely help in better health maintenance for your websites.
Website Optimization Step-By-Step
Just like Conversion rate optimization, site optimization is known to be based on scientific methods and uses similar principles and procedures. Here are those elaborated:
Determining the Objective
Realizing the objective of optimizing your websites is an important and the first step that needs to be taken. Different business types would be having different objectives for optimizing their websites.
It is important as all the further steps of the process are going to be dependent on the objective designed perfectly in order to attain it successfully.
Further with respect to the objective, the website owner would be required to conduct qualitative and quantitative keyword research. Also, A/B tests remain to be an integral part of the process in case of the home page making it easily accessible for the users.
Ones the top-level goals had been identified, the next step is to identify the underperforming points that can support the considerable objective. You are required to come up with the best alternative guesses that may work the best for it.
ALSO READ: The Most Cutting-Edged Mobile UI Trends 2018
A List Of Variables
You need to determine and list down all probable variables that would be tested during your experiments. Changes can be made in variations and experiments can be further run as per A/B splitting testing tool.
Run the Experiment
When you run the experiment you need to be sure that you have gathered enough of information that can help in making the conclusions statistically correct. Inconclusive data sets would be never preferable in case of business activities.
This is an essential step in the website optimization checklist. You need to first measure results, draw probable conclusions and then carry on with iterations. The results of an experiment would guide you with whether or not the considerable changes had been bringing in the desired improvement.
A winning variation may a setting up a new baseline for performance improvement. However, there is still a learning opportunity with a losing test and would set some more explicit goals for optimization.
With the above-mentioned steps, you would be able to look forward to better optimization of your websites and also better results in other respects like ROI.
Goals Of Website Optimization
Depending on the business type, target customers, and the desired action of the audience the goals of website optimization are known to vary. The desired action of any website visitor can often be conversion or completing a certain action. For example, consider the ones mentioned below:
- An online publication would conduct optimization based on the view to increase the number of articles that the visitors read.
- An online would consider optimization for the purpose of encouraging repeat purchases and completion of checkouts.
- An online software company would set their target to optimize the number of visitors who frequently apply for the free trial of a product.
- Similarly, an insurance company would seek to create a better scope for insurance coverage sales.
- And, a fundraising campaign would be based on encouraging more donations from the people it reaches.
Elements to be considered during Website Optimization
The following testing could be included during site optimization based on the varied company goals:
- Key messages or a headline related to the value proposition of the company.
- Usage of visual media including videos or photography.
- The length of a form, as per the varying order of completion or required fields.
- Customer case studies, prominently displayed, showcasing the successful use of your product or service.
- The visual text, style and the placement of a CTA (call to action) link or button.
- Organization of website navigation.
- Placement of social sharing functionality.
- Organization and appearance of the web page for visitors via mobile visitors.
Website owners may choose to conduct multi-page processes on their web-pages with checkout funnels, free trial sign-ups, or any multipage forms.
Website Optimization Vs Search Engine Optimization
Though known to be working complimentary to each other, there are several probable elements that distinguish website and search engine optimization.
Website optimization is generally conducted with the objective of improving the performance of the website in comparison to the one that had existed earlier basically by improving the key search terms.
SEO however, focuses on a wider area of the same. It includes dealing with page-load speeds, changing page titles, use of the best keywords, improving user experience and producing an excellently written content. Here are some of those points to consider:
Changing Page Titles
Search engines like Google depend on the <title> tag of your page in order to know what it is all about and makes the content available to the users accordingly. You should be sure that the <title> tag is less than 160 characters, click-worthy and unique.
Page Load Speeds
Website optimization can be connected to the site performance and speed. This is something implicitly relevant when completion of a certain action on a website is considered and is the considerable objective of optimizing the website.
The latency of action may be a problem due to slow processing leading to navigation issues and barriers in the completion of action creating a poor impression of the same.
Poor User Experience
As per the Google algorithms, user dwell time is one of the most considerable engagement metrics. How long a visitor stays on your website from the Google search result page would be effective in improving the ranking of your website.
You will, therefore, witness higher rankings if the visitors are spending more time on your websites in comparison to other competitors.
Using the Right Keywords
The core portion of SEO is known to be dependent on the use of the most appropriate keywords. It is basically the term that would be used the most used by the users to search relevant content for the same.
A Well-Written Content
At the end of the day, quality prevails as the most wanted element among users. The best content found by the users would be prized with most of the appreciation.
If any user is directed to a page that is full of grammatical and spelling mistakes then it would make a poor impression of course. Therefore, the content you craft should be well-written, unique and full of value.
With the above-mentioned points, website optimization can be linked with the improvement in reliability and speed of a website subsequently creating better performance.